July 7, 2010

Jewelry Chic

I can't remember which blog I got this idea from, but I'm so glad I remembered it!  (If you happen to know, please let me know so I can give credit)  My jewelry "heap" has now gone to jewelry "chic"...
My "before" makeshift jewelry organizer

and the ensuing knots that inevitably happen when storing your jewelry in said manner- ugh!

But look what happens when a little free time and inspiration hit:



so much more aesthetically pleasing, don't ya think?
all I did was use a couple of branches from outside and some nails, and voila!
(I originally had cuter, thicker branches but they proved especially difficult to get the darn nails through)


It was so fun getting out all of my jewelry and shining it up all nice and pretty (I took a photo of the jewelry cloth I used to show you all how bad things had gotten, but you'll thank me for my last minute decision not to post it- it was really disgusting)! 

Each piece of jewelry sort of  retold its story to me while I was polishing it.  Like the two elephants kissing ring that an exboyfriend used to hold together a scroll of  paper asking me out to our first date (an old style circus); I'm a sucker for elephants.  Or the chunky, all-silver ring that I learned how to cast when I was student teaching.  And the cute little owl ring I snagged for $2.95 at Forever...(er, hmm)32.

If I told a story about each piece, this would be a very long post, so I'll spare you.  But each piece is certainly special in its own, unique way.  How about you?  Do any of your pieces speak to you?  In what way?  I'd love to hear about it!

2 comments:

  1. Lovin' how you have your jewelry organized! I went a vintage sale a couple of weeks ago and found one of those old wooden sewing basket with all the wonderful compartments, thinkin' about organizing my jewelry in that. I think one of my most memorable pieces will be one in that is in the works. Brandt gave me a shell that he found on a beach when they were here last year for my 40th. He was so cute when he gave it to me, so I am going to make it into a pendant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Val, that is so sweet; I'm sure it will be a lovely piece of jewelry! The necklace you made for me is proudly displayed amongst my others and I always get tons of compliments when I wear it:) I also love each piece that went into it and feel compelled to tell admirers the story behind it!

    ReplyDelete